Saturday, March 26, 2016

Film technique

Due to the relatively low budget of my film opening, utilizing film techniques is a must to effectively produce a worthwhile scene. Over spring break, I visited my parent’s home country, Jamaica. While visiting this beautiful country with my parents and girlfriend, we encountered a wonderful endeavor, riding a Segway through the hills. The Segway was a fun experience, and whilst riding it I recorded a video of my girlfriend riding a camel. The video will be posted below.







            Due to the stabilizing effect of the Segway, the video resulted in a similar technique to using a camera dolly. This gave me a fantastic idea of utilizing a Segway-like contraption to record portions of my opening. The closest device I encountered that resembled a Segway was a hover board, and luckily enough my friend is willing to allow me to borrow the hover board to record for my film. I am quite lucky to have such kind friends. Anyways, I will film later this week, so stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading the plot, and I think it is a great idea for the opening of a film! The sense of mystery will engage the audience and make them want to continue watching the rest of the film which is an extremely effective technique in grasping attention. In addition, the accessibility of your props, costumes, setting, and characters will enhance the overall efficiency of creating your film. In terms of the actual filming, I love the idea of using a hover board to help in stabilizing your shots. This will add variety to the compositions as the shots do not only have to be stationary. This can also add a sense of action, following the character closely, a major aspect of thriller films.

    The only question I have is in regards to how you plan on showing the main character change from his tennis costume to the black suit in a way that would be conducive to both the story and the two minute time limit. It may be a little bit confusing if the character is seen in the tennis costume and then in the black suit straight away. I would just think about this and plan out the scene to ensure that the audience will understand what is going on without it seeming disjointed. Overall, however, I love the idea and look forward to seeing the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the plot and it definitely sounds like a great beginning to an exciting movie. I like how you already have your props, actors, and setting for your movie. I would like to see a storyboard of exactly what types of shots you would be using. I normally see in these type of action-thrillers that directors chose to have quick cuts to emphasize the suspense. This is something you could use in the scene where the tennis player gets in the car and speeds away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juhn, *head smash* #alwayswatching, I like how detailed you are with the quality of your film opening. Such as using a segway to film the opening because it will decrease the amount of human error and will turns out to be a logical solution to film Jose running. However, I'm interested in knowing more details about how you plan to film the opening itself. Everything seems developed such as the costumes, props, the plot, and the easiest way to shoot it, however I feel as if the specific camera angles and various lighting will "make or break" your film opening. Aside from that, I like the plot of the story and how critical you are with the quality of the film.

    ggwp, glhf

    *head smack* #alwayswatching

    ReplyDelete